Chapter 24 Study Questions
- Distinguish between acclimation and adaptation to abiotic stress.
Textbook Reference: Acclimation and Adaptation, pp. 733–734
- Discuss the physiological bases of abiotic stress in relation to drought, salinity, light, temperature, and flooding.
Textbook Reference: Environmental Factors and Their Biological Impacts on Plants, pp. 734–737
- Discuss the roles of Ca2+, reactive oxygen species (ROS), and the MAP Kinase cascade during signaling in response to abiotic stress.
Textbook Reference: Signaling Pathways Activated in Response to Abiotic Stress, pp. 740–744
- Which physiological or developmental changes protect plants against water stress, submergence, oxidative stress, temperature stress (including freezing), and toxicity caused by heavy metal ions?
Textbook Reference: Developmental and Physiological Mechanisms That Protect Plants against Abiotic Stress, pp. 748–755
- Create a labeled diagram that shows the ABA signaling pathway that causes stomatal closure during water stress.
Textbook Reference: Developmental and Physiological Mechanisms That Protect Plants against Abiotic Stress, pp. 755–757